Monday, September 24, 2007

Week Four Review

E. Seals looks for running room while A. Ferron & J. McMillian block.

EASTWICK DYNASTY SURPRISE MONARCHS

Yesterday, the Eastwick Dynasty jumped out to a 14-0 lead and held off a late charge by the Monarchs and won 14-13. The Dynasty blocked the extra point attempt by J. McMillian which is worth two points in Delco Pop Warner. When asked why the Monarchs opted to go for two points Coach Greg indicated that he wanted to go for the win instead of a tie. I hate to second guess myself, but I thought we would be able to execute the kick. Our field goal unit has been practicing extra points for a couple weeks now, so it was an easy decision to make.

The Dynasty took there opening possession and drove straight down the field and scored there first ever touchdown at the 160lb weight class. After that, the Monarchs switched to a 5-3 defense and keep the Dynasty offense in check for the rest of the day. In the second half, the Dynasty defense intercepted a pass attempt by Dwayne Harmon and returned it for another score giving the Dynasty a 14-0 lead.

The Monarchs got things going after that. They proceeded to drive 50 yards down the field on there next possession. Dwayne Harmon scored on a quarterback keeper to cut the lead to 14 - 7. Late in the fourth quarter, D. Harmon found Edwin Seals in the flat area. Ed scampered 40 yards for a touchdown to cut the lead to 14-13. The in sueing kickoff sailed out of bounds and the Dynasty ran out the clock.

The game, which was the Dynasty's first ever win in the midget division was marred by an off the field incident which involved the Dynasty's coaches and players taunting the Monarchs bus. When asked about the incident and the Monarchs second straight loss, Coach Greg stated the following. "I take full responsibility for this loss. I put my kids in jeopardy. It is my job too make sure that the opposing team is the proper weight and age. I failed to do that. The Dynasty had kids out there that were excessively and noticeably overweight. I did not realize that the Dynasty wanted to win so bad that they had to cheat. But I'm proud of my kids. They stepped up and did the best job they could do and they almost pulled it off.

Next week, the Monarchs visit the undefeated and league power West Oak Lane Wildcats. Game time is set for 6pm. Its going to be tough. But I know my kids will be ready. They got something that you can't buy in the store and it's called HEART... See you there!!!!

No comments: